Hi my name is Rebecca and I used to be a sugar addict!
Now I’m still obsessed with getting that sweet food hit, but now the focus has changed from refined sugars and chemically produced sugars to natural sugars.
Kicking the sugar habit was hard, and it put me in bed for almost 3 days, but it was the best thing I ever did. Sugar impacted negatively on my body more than I realised, and I didn’t realise how good I could feel without it.
I have found raw foods tend to make the best sweets, and recently I’ve been exposed to Iranian dates, and OMG!!! These are the most delicious things in the world. If they were the only thing I was allowed to eat for the rest of my life, I’d want to live forever. Seriously they are sooo creamy and gooey, its like eating chocolate and caramel all at once……..YUMM!!!
Dates are an extremely sweet fruit. And added to nuts make some of the best bases for desserts.
Raw Food Paleo Treats- makes 12
- 2-3 handfuls of almonds
- 2 handfuls of dates (soak these with pips removed for about 10-15 mins, keep water)
- Cinnamon or other spices to taste
- 2 handfuls cashews (soaked for around 10-15 mins)
- 1 handful fresh raspberries
- 1 banana
- 1 avocado
- 1-2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- honey to taste
- 1-2 drops of peppermint oil
- Coconut flakes
- Drain soaked dates, however keep the left over liquid. Place the dates in a blender and combine. You’ll have to scrape down the sides occasionally, as the dates tend to stick to the outside.
- Add almonds and spices to the dates and continue to combine. Now its up to you how chunky or smooth you want your base. If I’m making a larger pie, I’ll leave the mixture quite chunky. But in this case I blended the dates and almonds until it was a paste like consistency.
- Line a baking dish with baking paper. I used a small muffin tin to make individual portions. Distribute the mixture evenly into each muffin place, and press the mixture into the bottom and ensure it comes up the sides of the muffin tray. You want the base to be deep enough to hold a good portion of filling.
- Set aside whilst you make the fillings. You can put it in the fridge to set the base a little before adding the fillings.
Chocolate Mousse and Choc-Mint
- Place peeled and de-seeded avocado into the blender with the cocoa powder. Blend until smooth. You will need to scrap down the sides quite regularly. Depending on your avocado and its ripeness you might need to add some liquids to really get it smooth and creamy, and this is where the left over date liquid comes in handy. Add a small amount gradually until it looks like chocolate mousse.
- Add honey here if you want some sweetness to the treats.
- Separate the mixture into two bowls. In one of the bowls add the peppermint oil. Be careful not to add too much, as it can be quite over powering.
- Set aside
Raspberry Cheesecake and Banana Cheesecake
- Place drained cashews into blender and combine until it starts to become creamy.
- Again if the mixture is a little dry add some of the left over date water to the mix. Be careful not to add too much.
- Once the desired consistency is met, separate the mixture into two bowls.
- In the first bowl combine cashew paste, raspberries and honey to taste. You might need to use the blender for this. It should resemble a cheesecake consistency.
- Set aside
- In the other cashew bowl, blend a banana and add cinnamon or other spices for taste. You may also want to add honey, if you want it little sweeter.
Construction (for lack of better word)
- Take small spoonfuls of the mixture and portion into the bases. Use one flavour per individual base.
- Sprinkle coconut on the tops, or you could use crushed nuts or choc-chips for decorations
- Place finished tray in the fridge to set. I like mine to be a little bit firmer and the toppings to be a bit more like ice cream, so I place mine into the freezer. If you do this, ensure you defrost them on the counter for a little before serving, as they can get very hard.
- Serve with coffee or tea, or wine, or whatever you prefer, and take peace in the fact you are eating something super delicious that will benefit your health long-term.
Peace out for now